Earth News This Week

Monday, September 10, 2007

Italian Poem

An Italian Poem of the 13th Century

By Cecco Angiolieri a poet who lived in Siena, Italy in the XIII and XIV centuries:

S' i' fosse foco, arderei 'l mondo;
s' i' fosse vento, lo tempesterei;
s' i' fosse acqua, i' l'annegherei,
s' i' fosse Dio, mandereil' en profondo;
s' i' fosse papa, sare' allor giocondo,
ché tutt' i cristiani imbrigherei;
s' i' fosse 'mperator, sa' che farei?
a tutti mozzerei lo capo a tondo.
S' i' fosse morte, andarei da mio padre;
s' i' fosse vita, fuggirei da lui:
similmente farìa da mi' madre.
S' i' fosse Cecco, com' i' sono e fui,
torrei le donne giovani e leggiadre,
e vecchie e laide lasserei altrui.

Translation:

If I was fire I would burn up the world;
If I was wind, I would blow it apart;
If I was water, I would drown it,
If I was God I would throw it into the pit,
If I was the pope I would be doing fine
And cut off all the Christians’ nuts;
If I was Empereor, what would I do?
I would cut off everyone’s heads with one blow.
If I was death, I would embrace my father;
If I was life, I would run away from him:
Likewise with my mother.
If I was Cecco, as I am and always have been,
I would take all the young and good-looking women
And leave the ugly ones for everyone else.

Another translation

If I was fire, I’d burn the world,
if I was wind, I’d storm it,
if I was water, I’d flood it,
if I was God, I’d send it in the deep Hell.
If I was Pope, then I’d be happy, because all Christians I’d cheat,
if I was Emperor, do you know what I’d do, I would cut the heads to everybody.
If I was Death, I’d go to my father,
if I was Life, I’d get out of him, the same I’d do with my mother.
If I was Cecco, like I am and have been,
I’d keep the young and beautiful women with me
while the old and dirty I’d leave to the others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Translation Sir, thank you

Jaison

Anonymous said...

http://eekshop.com
You must also have a good credit score to learn more about qualify and a multi functional preapproval back and forth from an all in one bank showing that all your family 're approved and then for a multi function mortgage. It is the reason that an absolute must have to remember that never ever all of them are banks will allow all your family site in order to a multi functional down payment that comes to you back and forth from an all in one government grant. First a period of time homebuyers will want try to look for a little help from an all in one mortgage realtor as situation, they are aware to do with the banks that not only can they allow down payments both to and from going to be the Canadian government grants and for first a period of time homebuyers program.